Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Treatments and other Neurofibromatosis topics.
If your child has been diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis, or NF, they will undergo the early screening to detect tumors that could place pressure on nerves and affect organs. If your neurosurgeon has determined that your child needs to undergo surgery to remove tumors, you can make the experience less stressful for your child by following these simple tips:
1. Calmly explain to your child what is happening, the procedure, and that you will be there.
2. Read available information about the surgery to your child and how it will help them.
3. Have the doctor talk about the anesthesia.
4. Arrive early at the appointment, so your child is comfortable.
5. Bring your child's favorite toy, book or blanket to comfort them.